Sunday, April 12, 2009

Someone PLEASE help me with my orchid??

I just want to know if my orchid will ever grow a stem back. I was neglectful this winter, which resulted in an orchid catastrophe. The whole stem dried up, along with parts of the leaves, resulting in this:


http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/a...





You can kinda see whats left of the stem inside the red circle. You can see it a little more clearly here:


http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/a...





I don%26#039;t think my orchid is going to die, whats left of it seems pretty healthy, well at least the small leaf seems like it. The lil fella on the right side:


http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/a...





Does anyone have any tips on how to assist my plant with growing a new stem, possibly flowering? I know its going to take time but I%26#039;m not giving up on my once-beautiful orchid.





It%26#039;s a Phalaenopsis-moth orchid. I appreciate your help :)|||First - the plant needs repotting. Use a plastic pot instead of clay. It retains moisture better especially when growing indoors. Put in fresh orchid mix and keep moist but not soggy - do not let the plant dry out.





If the brown areas are dry, you can keep the leaves - this will help the plant to store energy. If the areas are soft, cut the leaf so no spots remain and treat the cut with a cutex dipped in mouthwash.





The plant will have all summer to grow another leaf or two and should set a spike in late autumn.





See source on growing and maintaining phalaenopsis in the home.|||it will grow back, dont worry about it|||As long as there is some life the plant can rebound. This may seem weird but apologize to the plant. Talk it it, out loud. You may need to use specialized soil and orchid food. Don%26#039;t over-do it. You can kill the plant by burning it with to much fertilizer. Orchids like light, some limited direct sun light is OK too but not all day. Give the plant warmth. Remember they are tropical plants. They like to have their leaves sprayed with water, like rain in a rain forest. Keep the soil slightly moist but not wet. The orchid soil drains well so remember to water often in the hot weather.|||Pretty tough orchid, it%26#039;s the only one I own that I have ever gotten to bloom regularly. What ever you have done to get the new growth should be continued. The damage appears to be heat, did you give it too much sun or get a Christmas light too close? RScott

No comments:

Post a Comment