Sunday, April 12, 2009

How do I plant a small terrarium?

I have a tall, covered octagon 29-gallon aquarium with a flourescent light. I don%26#039;t want to put fish in it, since I have a nice fish tank already, I don%26#039;t need another one. I%26#039;d love a small terrarium. I like for it to have an orchid or two, with tall driftwood and moss and maybe some ivy trailing from a ledge near the top. My favorite orchids are white, purple, and pink moth orchids. One of each color would be great if I can do that. I%26#039;d like to start them from bulbs if at all possible because I love to watch things grow from the very beginning.





Does anyone know if moss is compatible with orchids, and where I can find some? I don%26#039;t know if it%26#039;s sold anywhere here since I live in a dry climate.





Please let me know if this is a bad setup idea. The main things I want are driftwood for tall structure, hanging plants like ivy (background), a centerpiece flowering plant, moss, and another kind of small foreground plant.





Any links on orchid care for beginners would be great! And thanks!|||I have a 20 gallon terrerium with 3 anoles. I put about 3 inches of potting soil on the bottom and covered that with moss. I then added three potted plants. I have a ficus and two pothos plants. I have a branch for the lizards and I have a small battery powered fountain. You should use a background to make it look more natural.|||Sounds like a great project. In my terrarium I had years ago. I used small plants so they could grow into larger one. Terrariums are so beautiful. Good Luck with your. Here are some websites that I visit daily for general information. I hope they will help you.





www.gardenhelper.com


www.backyardgardener.com

No comments:

Post a Comment