Sunday, April 12, 2009

Caring for White Phalaenopsis (Moth Orchid)?

I just acquired a beautiful white Moth Orchid. I read about taking care of it (watering, etc.) but what happens when all the buds bloom and the long stem is bare? Do I cut the stem back and will it grow out again and get new buds? Right now it has 8 gorgeous flowers and 8 buds. I%26#039;ve had it for nearly 3 weeks. It is so beautiful and I hope I can keep it alive for a long time. Any help will surely be appreciated.





p.s. I don%26#039;t have a %26quot;green thumb%26quot; and in the past have always %26quot;killed my indoor plants with kindness%26quot;. Too much water, etc.!|||The Phalaenopsis orchid is the easiest for beginning orchid lovers to grow. It does very well on windowledges in the average home environment. I know because I%26#039;ve had them for about 10 years.


Your orchid%26#039;s flowers will normally last 3-4 months, then one by one will drop off. Don%26#039;t cut the %26quot;spike%26quot; after it%26#039;s finished blooming because it will often set a smaller side %26quot;spike%26quot; and bloom again. Wait to cut it off until the spike has dried out and turned brown.


The trick of watering an orchid is to water it %26quot;weekly%26quot; and fertilize it %26quot;weakly%26quot;. Put a tiny bit of orchid fertilizer in with your weekly watering, or if you have a fish tank, use fish tank water (not salt water fish, though!)


My phalaenopsis plants bloom twice a year. I also keep each plant in a slightly larger tub with pebbles on the bottom to keep the pot elevated a bit, and then let about 1%26quot; of water stand in the outer tub. This creates a slightly more humid mini environment for each plant.|||Your orchid should last you if you take care of it correctly. The blooms can last up to 3 months! After all the blooms have withered and fallen off, clip the branch after the LAST bloom, from the start where they were, not the top. Make sure you drain the water too, never let the roots sit in water, they rot easily. Give it lots of sunshine. Also, when all the blooms are gone and you%26#039;ve trimmed your branch, keep watering as you would if there were blooms, orchids are dormant for about 6 months. You should see new buds again around this time next year, new growth too! Repot every two years :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment